Oct 12, 2015

{Day 12}: Soar Above the Storm

Word prompt: STORM


Beacon from Freedigitalphotos.net

Start...

Living in a country hit by tropical storms, with landfalls averaging 8-9 per year, storms are a part of our life all year round. I'm used to these and as a child, I even welcome them.  It means no classes and you know students.  Back then, storms never bothered me.  I've always been warm and safe in our house, situated in that area where we're unaffected by flooding.  And most times, you'd find me by the window, enjoying the gusts of wind or simply watching as the fierce downpour beats against the roof and the window panes.  

I was really never afraid of storms until that day back in 2009 when I crossed paths with Typhoon Ondoy (Ketsana).  That's when I got stuck in the office because the waters kept rising.  Had I gone home, I would have waded in chest-deep of murky waters.  And to think I still don't know how to swim that time!  Older people would say that the last flooding of that magnitude happened back in the 70's.  Wow, more than three decades!  

And then there is of course Super typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan) barely two years ago.  Although I live hundreds of miles from Leyte, relatively safe from the devastating effect, my heart really broke for the people there.  I was in constant communication with a friend who was there.  Because for a time, I was her only source of news from the outside.  

Now, whenever a heavy downpour lasts for more than 30 minutes, I get queasy or edgy.  I'd imagine the murky waters rising.  How many times have I considered buying rain boots? But they would just be worthless during severe flooding.  Maybe an inflatable boat would be better.  Hahaha!

Kidding aside, those two storms have forever changed my illusions of safety.  In truth, I probably am just as vulnerable as those living in high risk areas.  We don't know where nature would unleash it's fury until there's just a few days left to prepare.  We don't know the kind of devastation these storms bring with them.  We can only brace ourselves and pray for the best as we stay put on higher, safer grounds.

Life's problems are like that as well.  Just when we think everything's going along as planned or expected, life suddenly gives us those twists and surprises that leaves us reeling.  Sometimes, we get knocked down, unable to get up at once.  Sometimes, we can only be thankful that we've survived the ordeal, still alive but barely kicking.

But whether it be the storms of nature, or the inner storms in our lives, I have learned that we can only be safe in the arms of our God.  It's only in Him that we find the assurance and only in Him that we must put our faith.  The faith that knows whatever happens, we will be alright and that we can soar above the storm.  After all, we have a big and mighty God, bigger and mightier than any super storms of life, right?

Sometimes, when worry creeps up on me, I just sing this:



When the oceans rise and thunders roar
I will soar with you above the storm
Father you are King over the flood
I will be still and know You are God.

--Still by Hillsong


STOP.


This is Day 12 of the series
31 Days of Free Writes: A Journey of Faith.
Read the rest of the posts here.

To read about what hundreds of others are writing
about, head on over this link and also here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis