Oct 2, 2015

{Day 2} Five Minute Friday: Family

Joining up the ladies at Kate Motaung's Five Minute Friday link up.

Today's word prompt is:

FAMILY




Timer starts now...

When I was a kid, I used to think that my family is far from perfect. And I wasn't really far from the truth because no family is ever perfect or that ideal.  While mine is not dysfunctional, there were days I wish my mom is not so tight about spending money, or that my dad should have a car like my playmate's dad, or that my sister is nicer to me, or that my parents would also buy us those expensive toys... I could go on and on about the things I wish we had as a family.

I kept comparing, looking for something we don't have and that other families do.

I was looking outside when I should be appreciating what we have.  I guess my only excuse is that I was a kid then and my perspective is very shallow and limited and selfish.

As I grew up and matured, my perspective changed.  I came to appreciate what we do have and that others don't. My parents, I realized are a perfect match.  There was never a doubt about that, and so I grew up not worrying about whether my parents would separate like others that I know of.  In fact, I never saw them have a serious fight.  I learned what love, commitment, and respect does to a marriage.  I have always looked up to them with respect and admiration, thinking that if I should get married someday, I want what they have.  

As for my sister, well, she's not exactly the perfect sister.  I sometimes wonder if by chance she got switched when she was born.  Hmmm, possible but well, we look alike so I guess my theory is just wishful thinking hahaha!  Kidding aside, no matter what, flaws and all, she's still my sister.  She may stretch my patience and self control sometimes but hey, at least I never have to look far to learn what it is to love a difficult person.  I don't need to go out and find them because one is under my nose hahaha!  She'll come around someday.  Meanwhile, the big sister has to keep praying for her, that she too would have a life changing encounter with God's mercy, grace, and unfathomable love.  

God has a perfect reason for everything.  And I believe He has put me in this family to learn about life and love and to mold me into the person He wants me to be.  My family may not be the ideal one, but it is the best one for me and I won't dream of having any other, even if I had the choice.  


STOP

31 Days logo - 2015



This is Day 2 of the series
31 Days of Free Writes: A Journey of Faith.
Read the rest of the posts here.

To read about what hundreds of others are writing
about, head on over this link and also here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis