Oct 23, 2015

{Day 23} Five Minute Friday: Joy


Joining Kate and the rest of FMFers to write about JOY.


katemotaung.com


START...

I remember those vacation bible schools when I was still a kid.  There's this song that's a favorite among the kids and it goes something like this:



I've got joy down in my heart
Deep, deep down in my heart
J-O-Y down in my heart 
Deep, deep down in my heart
Jesus gave it to me I know
And no one can...
Destroy (5x)


I don't know why the emphasis on the last word, repeating it five times.  But anyway, as I kid, I would sing it accompanied with actions, but I don't really understand much of it.  Happiness and joy seemed the same to me then...the giddy kind of emotion that makes you giggle or laugh.  Maybe it's because with kids, things are quite simple and the littlest of things make us happy.  It doesn't take much for a normal kid to laugh, right?

As we grow up, we somehow recognize the distinction. Happiness comes from external factors and is therefore dependent on those.  Some may say happiness is also a choice.  And it is, I guess.  

But joy, well it's a different thing altogether.  Joy comes from within, a part of the fruit of the Holy Spirit.  Joy is found in our relationship with God and is never dependent on any circumstance.  Apart from Him, we cannot really experience the fullness of joy.  With Him, joy is like a spring that overflows, and nobody can steal the joy that is in our hearts.


"You make known to me the path of life;
  in your presence there is fullness of joy;
  at your right hand are pleasures forevermore."
  --- Psalm 16:11 (ESV)


STOP.


This is Day 23 of the series
31 Days of Free Writes: A Journey of Faith.
Read the rest of the posts here.

To read about what hundreds of others are writing
about, head on over this link and also here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis